Skip to main content

Tuesday Tips

This week’s focus is…       MENU
Oh how I love food. After you’ve come up with your theme and your décor, it seems (at least to me) for the menu to come along naturally. I do have a few rules I try stick to. When I throw a party I generally like to have something crunchy you can snack on, something healthy(ish), something you could consider to be what I call “real food” aka something you would eat as part of a main meal, at least 2 drink options, and something deliciously sweet.

Although I try to have some of the food options be theme-specific, I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. People might remember if your food was theme specific, but they’re definitely going to remember if your food was delicious. Don’t feel like you can’t make some of your favorite staples for a party! Make food you would like to eat- especially if you’re hosting. You might just have leftovers. If you’re staple food is steak, or something equally expensive or equally large, try re-thinking how you could make it in a feasible way. Bacon and steak bites anyone? Mini lobster rolls? I’m in.
278378820687518151_y3bmuk2o_fMiniLobsterRolls1
Now, if you’re going to make theme-specific food you may want to practice beforehand. You can’t be quite sure how the food will look (and taste) if you’ve never made it before. There’s definitely different levels of difficulty when it comes to decorating food. Just think about pumpkins. It’s easier to make the pumpkins in the image on the left than the pumpkin on the right no?                                                                                                  
13042_1259627896677_1409052150_751848_6900682_ncarl-jones-pumpkin-1
Same thing goes for food. First option here looks easier too right? Still really pretty and fresh, but much easier. This seems like common sense, but hey- I’ve made this mistake before for sure.

I have also had that “oh that looks delicious” moment right before biting into something that was less than pleasant. Looks can be deceiving so practice can save you from an awkward host moment. Hope you all make something tasty this week! Who knows, dinner tomorrow could turn into next month’s party stand out. As always, click on the pictures if you'd like. Some of them link to really cool recipes.

Note: I’ve had a few questions about the white chocolate stamped Oreos. To be clear- after you dip the Oreo in white chocolate, you put the stamp in the white chocolate and then freeze the cookie before removing the stamp. For some reason this allows the stamp to make the impression without pulling the chocolate off. Also- it only takes about 10-15 minutes to freeze each cookie. I bought a stamp set of 10 so I can make 10 cookies every 15 minutes or so with prep time. Not bad!

Comments

  1. For a twist on the steak bites you can put a couple jalapeno slices on the steak before you wrap the bacon around it and then marinate them in this AMAZING stuff call Allegro Marinade. They are DELISH!!! One of my friends shared the recipe and it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's all...just the jalapeno slices added (he uses them out a jar), wrap the bacon, secure with toothpick, marinate in Allegro Marinade sauce for at least 30, throw them bad boys on the grill and then enjoy. They are addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I meant the allegro marinade! Sold in stores? Sounds so good

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dust yourself off & try again

Okay, I have persisted and I have a few tips. Fluffier frosting is definitely not the way to go. I used a fluffier frosting and the frosting ended up coming off the cookie with the stamp. This icing seemed to work much better. Secondly, brush cornstarch on top of the icing to limit the stickiness. PaperVine was so right about that! I had a rubber stamp and an acrylic stamp and the rubber stamp worked much better. That’s not to say that acrylic stamps won’t work, but I didn’t have an acrylic block to put the food coloring on. I used the paper towel method I read about somewhere (for the life of me I can’t find it), where you put paper towels into a Tupperware container and soak it with food coloring. You use the paper towels as a sort of ink-pad. Next time I may just shell out the cash for an un-inked foam pad. I’m also interested to see how different types of food coloring works. Some people swear by gel while others swear by airbrush food coloring. Thirdly, make sure you’re hu...

Nerd, Nerd, Nerd, Nerd is the Word

I really want to throw a nerd party! How fun would that be? If my husband was into parties I might would just throw him a nerd party for his birthday. He’s not a Screech type of nerd, but he does like to game and is into computers and gadgets. I’m definitely having trouble coming up with a catchy name for the invitations, but you know I’m ready for the food! I think I would start out with a periodic table cloth on the food table to set the stage. Much like this one from Learning beyond the books. Then I’d definitely bake a nice pi pie like this one from Bot Pie . Then I would pick and choose from some of theses ideas. Love the Jell-O Legos The Joys of Jello did! These cupcake stencils and cakelet pans from Williams Sonoma are so cool too! And who could forget drinks? Harry Potter Butterbeer anyone? As far as décor goes- I think these removable Mario wall stickers would be a nice addition, and these Star Wars (Lego) glow sticks could be fun favors. This is definitel...