Skip to main content

Go Pokes!

All right, I have two very adorable twin nephews who are turning 9 this year! In 28 days to be exact. The problem is, on really wants a cowboy themed party while the other wants an iPod party. How to mix these two? I’m thinking you could either a) have a ‘Time Warp’ party in which half the party is ‘Cowboy’ themed (circa 1950’s perhaps) and the other half would be ‘Technology’ themed (circa, now? the future?) or b) you could have a mash up of the two using sort-of a Cowboys vs. Aliens sort-of stance. I would do a split of the two because it just seems easier to be honest with you. Actually, I would put some painters tape down on the floor of a large room and have half be Cowboy and half be Technology, with a ‘Time traveling’ door in the middle. Something like this…
2959854547_5fe53757eb_z
I’m not a genius with cardboard, but my dad is!
For the Cowboy side, I’d make….
Untitled
I created the banner in Microsoft Publisher and the Wanted Poster from mixing this with a sepia picture of the boys. I’d also make Trail mix to snack on during those long horse rides, oh and what cowboy doesn’t need something from the old watering hole?

And I’d buy…
               30e577185e14f79892a705463fd862c199d15bdd0dcbec6fd8e7a8f985d59ef1b24b5d8020a68bf6803f79e311c02da4
Cow print balloons (Inspiration below!) C’mon, this horse piñata is just fun and um- who doesn’t want a mustache? Even Eli has mustache shirts
420c53e63e000ea2cfe8abb42f7a61e8
For the iPod side:
I’d set up a backdrop with these guys and set up a game of bean-bag toss by making a giant cardboard iPod and cutting a hole in the middle of the circle. Inspiration for the look here. I’d also hang a few musical notes from the ceiling (just blow up in Word and cut out, hanging with wire).
apple-ipod-party-colors007d0425d23a9e14d71bc22b76abc0a4
For treats? I’d make some bright blue punch to drink and wrap some candy bars like little mini iPods, using Hershey kisses for the earbuds. To up the technology factor? A homemade robot/utensil holder.
cumple_santi_024_standard (1)ipod-party-favorsrobot-33
For favors? Maybe these mini robots.
4167506c3f4cc8d30bf26a747feb3c3c
What do y’all think?
-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Tips

This week’s focus is…         MENU Oh how I love food. After you’ve come up with your theme and your décor, it seems (at least to me) for the menu to come along naturally. I do have a few rules I try stick to. When I throw a party I generally like to have something crunchy you can snack on, something healthy(ish), something you could consider to be what I call “real food” aka something you would eat as part of a main meal, at least 2 drink options, and something deliciously sweet. Although I try to have some of the food options be theme-specific, I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. People might remember if your food was theme specific, but they’re definitely going to remember if your food was delicious. Don’t feel like you can’t make some of your favorite staples for a party! Make food you would like to eat- especially if you’re hosting. You might just have leftovers. If you’re staple food is steak, or something equally expensive or equally larg...

Dust yourself off & try again

Okay, I have persisted and I have a few tips. Fluffier frosting is definitely not the way to go. I used a fluffier frosting and the frosting ended up coming off the cookie with the stamp. This icing seemed to work much better. Secondly, brush cornstarch on top of the icing to limit the stickiness. PaperVine was so right about that! I had a rubber stamp and an acrylic stamp and the rubber stamp worked much better. That’s not to say that acrylic stamps won’t work, but I didn’t have an acrylic block to put the food coloring on. I used the paper towel method I read about somewhere (for the life of me I can’t find it), where you put paper towels into a Tupperware container and soak it with food coloring. You use the paper towels as a sort of ink-pad. Next time I may just shell out the cash for an un-inked foam pad. I’m also interested to see how different types of food coloring works. Some people swear by gel while others swear by airbrush food coloring. Thirdly, make sure you’re hu...

Nerd, Nerd, Nerd, Nerd is the Word

I really want to throw a nerd party! How fun would that be? If my husband was into parties I might would just throw him a nerd party for his birthday. He’s not a Screech type of nerd, but he does like to game and is into computers and gadgets. I’m definitely having trouble coming up with a catchy name for the invitations, but you know I’m ready for the food! I think I would start out with a periodic table cloth on the food table to set the stage. Much like this one from Learning beyond the books. Then I’d definitely bake a nice pi pie like this one from Bot Pie . Then I would pick and choose from some of theses ideas. Love the Jell-O Legos The Joys of Jello did! These cupcake stencils and cakelet pans from Williams Sonoma are so cool too! And who could forget drinks? Harry Potter Butterbeer anyone? As far as décor goes- I think these removable Mario wall stickers would be a nice addition, and these Star Wars (Lego) glow sticks could be fun favors. This is definitel...