Skip to main content

Apple of my Eye

What a fun weekend! Yesterday Josh, Eli and I went apple-picking for the first time. Breeden’s Orchard was perfect (even if it was in the 80’s). We picked 9 pounds of apples and bought some fresh blackberry jam for a mere $15. Eli was up in the action trying to eat an apple, successfully picking his own leaf, and breaking hearts everywhere. What a little cutie! Next year though, I think we’ll try to get there opening weekend. There were quite a few fully picked trees.

After we went to Kavanagh’s Irish Pub and pretty much pigged out on banger’s and mash, fish and chips, and Bailey’s cheesecake. Eli was the perfect little boy. He only tried to pull down a giant, candle-laden object once. We also stopped by Essex, which conveniently is right next to Kavanagh’s, and bought him his own little V-tech walker. That boy is obsessed. He loves it! We also got a Poppin’ Park Elephant for $12 which I was excited about until I got home. All but one of the balls is missing! Geesh. Replacement balls, of course, would make this ‘deal’ non-existent. 

As for the apples? So far I’ve made apple pie. I’ve got apple butter going in the crock-pot and another pie crust ready for the filling…and I still have apples left. I think with the rest we’ll do cider or an apple sauce. I hope you’re having as much fun and food as I am.
IMG_9769IMG_9779
What we bought: Vtech sit to stand learning walker, Carter’s my first Christmas jammies, The Grinch’s Great-Big Flap Book (I’m done Christmas and birthday shopping for my baby!)
Best moment: Taking a nap with Eli yesterday morning. He’s so sweet. He fell asleep with his hand on Josh’s face. When he woke up he rolled over and tried to crawl on me.
How my life has changed: 7 am is sleeping in! I spend so much time trying to entertain Eli. Singing, dancing, hopping, it’s all in my playbook.

Eli: Week 36
IMG_9731IMG_9735IMG_9757IMG_9750
I am obsessed with curtains! I think they’re hilarious and I just have to touch them (and try to eat them). This often ends bath time early, because I just must grab the shower curtain and attempt to pull myself up in the slippery, hard as a rock tub. I got my first bruise this week after I had pulled myself to standing and then fell over, hitting my head on the edge of the toy box. Mom was more upset than I was. Mom and dad bought me a new walker-toy. I haven’t quite figured out how to use it without help, but I do know that it has a barn house door on it that is the best thing since sliced bread. I went apple picking for the first time and I had so much fun! I’m a very good boy.

Have a great weekend!
-Shantel




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Tips

This week’s focus is…         MENU Oh how I love food. After you’ve come up with your theme and your dĂ©cor, it seems (at least to me) for the menu to come along naturally. I do have a few rules I try stick to. When I throw a party I generally like to have something crunchy you can snack on, something healthy(ish), something you could consider to be what I call “real food” aka something you would eat as part of a main meal, at least 2 drink options, and something deliciously sweet. Although I try to have some of the food options be theme-specific, I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. People might remember if your food was theme specific, but they’re definitely going to remember if your food was delicious. Don’t feel like you can’t make some of your favorite staples for a party! Make food you would like to eat- especially if you’re hosting. You might just have leftovers. If you’re staple food is steak, or something equally expensive or equally larg...

Dust yourself off & try again

Okay, I have persisted and I have a few tips. Fluffier frosting is definitely not the way to go. I used a fluffier frosting and the frosting ended up coming off the cookie with the stamp. This icing seemed to work much better. Secondly, brush cornstarch on top of the icing to limit the stickiness. PaperVine was so right about that! I had a rubber stamp and an acrylic stamp and the rubber stamp worked much better. That’s not to say that acrylic stamps won’t work, but I didn’t have an acrylic block to put the food coloring on. I used the paper towel method I read about somewhere (for the life of me I can’t find it), where you put paper towels into a Tupperware container and soak it with food coloring. You use the paper towels as a sort of ink-pad. Next time I may just shell out the cash for an un-inked foam pad. I’m also interested to see how different types of food coloring works. Some people swear by gel while others swear by airbrush food coloring. Thirdly, make sure you’re hu...

I thought I was fat

As a woman, I've always placed a lot of value into what I weigh and how I look. In the past few years especially I've been doing my best to move away from that, to focus on being healthy and feeling good, but those thoughts creep up for sure. It's my 6 week check in and I've lost 4 more pounds, so basically I still have 18 pounds to go. I started out these 6 weeks by going to the gym and only drinking water, but after week 2 Eli got sick for 2 weeks, then Anias got sick for 2 (make that 5...) weeks, then I got sick for 2 weeks, then Anias got an ear infection and would NOT sleep. He wouldn't fall asleep for 2 hours past bedtime and would wake up for hours. He's actually still doing this and he's still sick. Thursday he had a 101 fever so I took him in to the urgent care and his ear infection in his right ear did not go away. They put him on Augmentin and it just destroys his tummy. He actually vomited 3 times Friday on top of it all. I'm not used to thi...