Skip to main content

Hellooooo Fall

It’s almost October! This morning I bought some pureed pumpkin to make some fall treats and tonight we’re going to decorate the yard for Halloween. I can not wait. I just love October.

We’ve been fairly busy this week. We started a new schedule at work which was…interesting. Some of the change was better (fewer clients to document on), some of it was worse (more to do, essentially). Today we headed to the TACA fair and of course only bought food. I think that’s all I ever buy there. We got some Blackberry syrup and organic popcorn butter from the Amish booth. Mmmmmm. Then we headed to pick up the mugs I decorated for my co-workers. One is supposed to be Dwight from the Office (not my best work- remind me never to try to do a person again) and the other is Grumpy Cat. I seriously find that one to be hilarious. Funny how they both resonate with grumpy characters!
IMG_5937IMG_5938-2IMG_5934-2
After that we went out to lunch at Olive Garden before heading to run errands and grab some Halloween décor for the yard. What about Eli? Well here’s this week’s check-in.

Eli’s Size: He should be about 1 1/2 pounds and about the size of a squash.
Cravings: Key Lime Pie, chocolate, Starbuck’s Pumpkin spice latte’s 
Side effects: heartburn, foot and arm cramps/Charlie horses, round-belly pain, hip pain, moodiness. I became so sad one day this week. It was very weird as I had a good day. Still sleeping great! 9 hours one day this week.
Wedding rings on or off? On!
Most awkward moment? Oh so many. My client asking if my belly was getting in the way of reaching across the table? (It was). Or perhaps the following conversation while I was eating lunch.
New Coworker: So, are you taking a break soon?
Me: I am. Right now.
New Coworker: I mean like a real break?
Me: I’m at lunch right now, on break.
Blank stares all around.
Me: You mean maternity leave??
haha I had 4 people in 2 days ask when I’m going on leave. I’m not due for more than 3 months people!
Best moment? Finally going on our date.
What we bought: We prepared a space for Eli’s stuff in the laundry room. For that, we bought a new, smaller trash can and a coat hanger. Here are some before & after's.
                          IMG_5929IMG_5930
                                    Looking in the doorway                      Looking towards the doorway
IMG_5939IMG_5944IMG_5942
              Looking in the doorway                         Looking towards the doorway (up)            Looking towards the doorway (down)

I thought about buying more storage, but decided to wait a bit longer until we know for sure what we’ll need. I think this set-up will work nicely. There’s no need to have our stroller upstairs and this will keep it nice and handy without being too obtrusive.

In other news? Optimus’ birthday is this Tuesday! We bought him a special bone to spoil him even more. Look at his face! Hahaha, he was sooooo elated.
    IMG_5917IMG_5924
That’s it for me right now. I hope you all have a lovely weekend!
-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Tips

This week’s focus is…         MENU Oh how I love food. After you’ve come up with your theme and your décor, it seems (at least to me) for the menu to come along naturally. I do have a few rules I try stick to. When I throw a party I generally like to have something crunchy you can snack on, something healthy(ish), something you could consider to be what I call “real food” aka something you would eat as part of a main meal, at least 2 drink options, and something deliciously sweet. Although I try to have some of the food options be theme-specific, I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. People might remember if your food was theme specific, but they’re definitely going to remember if your food was delicious. Don’t feel like you can’t make some of your favorite staples for a party! Make food you would like to eat- especially if you’re hosting. You might just have leftovers. If you’re staple food is steak, or something equally expensive or equally larg...

Dust yourself off & try again

Okay, I have persisted and I have a few tips. Fluffier frosting is definitely not the way to go. I used a fluffier frosting and the frosting ended up coming off the cookie with the stamp. This icing seemed to work much better. Secondly, brush cornstarch on top of the icing to limit the stickiness. PaperVine was so right about that! I had a rubber stamp and an acrylic stamp and the rubber stamp worked much better. That’s not to say that acrylic stamps won’t work, but I didn’t have an acrylic block to put the food coloring on. I used the paper towel method I read about somewhere (for the life of me I can’t find it), where you put paper towels into a Tupperware container and soak it with food coloring. You use the paper towels as a sort of ink-pad. Next time I may just shell out the cash for an un-inked foam pad. I’m also interested to see how different types of food coloring works. Some people swear by gel while others swear by airbrush food coloring. Thirdly, make sure you’re hu...

Nerd, Nerd, Nerd, Nerd is the Word

I really want to throw a nerd party! How fun would that be? If my husband was into parties I might would just throw him a nerd party for his birthday. He’s not a Screech type of nerd, but he does like to game and is into computers and gadgets. I’m definitely having trouble coming up with a catchy name for the invitations, but you know I’m ready for the food! I think I would start out with a periodic table cloth on the food table to set the stage. Much like this one from Learning beyond the books. Then I’d definitely bake a nice pi pie like this one from Bot Pie . Then I would pick and choose from some of theses ideas. Love the Jell-O Legos The Joys of Jello did! These cupcake stencils and cakelet pans from Williams Sonoma are so cool too! And who could forget drinks? Harry Potter Butterbeer anyone? As far as décor goes- I think these removable Mario wall stickers would be a nice addition, and these Star Wars (Lego) glow sticks could be fun favors. This is definitel...