Skip to main content

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion.
Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party.
For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.
Trick-or-Treat Turnovers RecipePizza Mummies
        Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                      Pizza Mummies
For crunching and munching on

                  Scarecrow Crunch
For dessert

      Candy Corn Rice Krispies                       Monster Mash Pudding                 Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons
I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good to me. We always dress up to hand out the candy, which is fun for us (maybe just me haha) and the kids. Don’t worry- I’ve got mine and Kito’s costumes in. Josh is slacking! The house is ready too. Never too early right?
IMG_2937IMG_2938IMG_2942
The weekend before we may go out to Adams, TN to do a haunted candle-lit tour of the Bell Witch Cave or go out to see Paranormal Activity 4 (Ah! It looks super scary).  What do you have planned?
Just for  tradition's sake-
You scared yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Tips

This week’s focus is…         MENU Oh how I love food. After you’ve come up with your theme and your décor, it seems (at least to me) for the menu to come along naturally. I do have a few rules I try stick to. When I throw a party I generally like to have something crunchy you can snack on, something healthy(ish), something you could consider to be what I call “real food” aka something you would eat as part of a main meal, at least 2 drink options, and something deliciously sweet. Although I try to have some of the food options be theme-specific, I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. People might remember if your food was theme specific, but they’re definitely going to remember if your food was delicious. Don’t feel like you can’t make some of your favorite staples for a party! Make food you would like to eat- especially if you’re hosting. You might just have leftovers. If you’re staple food is steak, or something equally expensive or equally larg...

Dust yourself off & try again

Okay, I have persisted and I have a few tips. Fluffier frosting is definitely not the way to go. I used a fluffier frosting and the frosting ended up coming off the cookie with the stamp. This icing seemed to work much better. Secondly, brush cornstarch on top of the icing to limit the stickiness. PaperVine was so right about that! I had a rubber stamp and an acrylic stamp and the rubber stamp worked much better. That’s not to say that acrylic stamps won’t work, but I didn’t have an acrylic block to put the food coloring on. I used the paper towel method I read about somewhere (for the life of me I can’t find it), where you put paper towels into a Tupperware container and soak it with food coloring. You use the paper towels as a sort of ink-pad. Next time I may just shell out the cash for an un-inked foam pad. I’m also interested to see how different types of food coloring works. Some people swear by gel while others swear by airbrush food coloring. Thirdly, make sure you’re hu...

Nerd, Nerd, Nerd, Nerd is the Word

I really want to throw a nerd party! How fun would that be? If my husband was into parties I might would just throw him a nerd party for his birthday. He’s not a Screech type of nerd, but he does like to game and is into computers and gadgets. I’m definitely having trouble coming up with a catchy name for the invitations, but you know I’m ready for the food! I think I would start out with a periodic table cloth on the food table to set the stage. Much like this one from Learning beyond the books. Then I’d definitely bake a nice pi pie like this one from Bot Pie . Then I would pick and choose from some of theses ideas. Love the Jell-O Legos The Joys of Jello did! These cupcake stencils and cakelet pans from Williams Sonoma are so cool too! And who could forget drinks? Harry Potter Butterbeer anyone? As far as décor goes- I think these removable Mario wall stickers would be a nice addition, and these Star Wars (Lego) glow sticks could be fun favors. This is definitel...