Skip to main content

30 Day Photo Challenge: Week 1

This past week has been pretty jam-packed, but I did manage to work in another photo class and here’s the thing- I realize now that I know the basics. That doesn’t mean it’s coming very naturally to me, but I do want to keep getting better. With that in mind I’ve decided to take on the 30 day photo challenge- a challenge designed to help you become a better photographer and to photograph from a different perspective. It’s actually been really interesting. I never knew how fun it would be to photograph clouds. They say people rarely look up, and I guess that’s true. The film I took had about 10 photos of clouds and I liked them all a lot. I also have been sticking to my guns regarding the "style" I like. Josh has his own picks, but I'm not second guessing and choosing his likes over my own- which I think is a good thing.
The worst challenge? Taking photos of myself. I feel so awkward! But I don’t know how I can expect to make other people feel comfortable in front of the camera if I feel so nerdy. I definitely need to explore some different poses so that I can be in a photo with confidence. Speaking of which- we have family photos scheduled in 12 days! AH! Anyhow- I’m trying to get 7 challenges done each weekend so I can finish in 30 days, but I don’t see myself taking one photo a day. By the time I get home it’s so dark out!  Here’s the first 7.
Clockwise: 1) Self portrait 2) What I wore 4) Green 5) High Angle 6) Low Angle…of my fall wreath 7) Fruit 3) clouds
IMG_339322IMG_34652IMG_3366IMG_3356IMG_3414IMG_34782
I can’t believe Thanksgiving is coming so quickly! I’ve got to get the ball rolling on my niece Kali’s birthday party. A flower crown must be made! Until then- Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Tips

This week’s focus is…         MENU Oh how I love food. After you’ve come up with your theme and your décor, it seems (at least to me) for the menu to come along naturally. I do have a few rules I try stick to. When I throw a party I generally like to have something crunchy you can snack on, something healthy(ish), something you could consider to be what I call “real food” aka something you would eat as part of a main meal, at least 2 drink options, and something deliciously sweet. Although I try to have some of the food options be theme-specific, I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. People might remember if your food was theme specific, but they’re definitely going to remember if your food was delicious. Don’t feel like you can’t make some of your favorite staples for a party! Make food you would like to eat- especially if you’re hosting. You might just have leftovers. If you’re staple food is steak, or something equally expensive or equally larg...

Dust yourself off & try again

Okay, I have persisted and I have a few tips. Fluffier frosting is definitely not the way to go. I used a fluffier frosting and the frosting ended up coming off the cookie with the stamp. This icing seemed to work much better. Secondly, brush cornstarch on top of the icing to limit the stickiness. PaperVine was so right about that! I had a rubber stamp and an acrylic stamp and the rubber stamp worked much better. That’s not to say that acrylic stamps won’t work, but I didn’t have an acrylic block to put the food coloring on. I used the paper towel method I read about somewhere (for the life of me I can’t find it), where you put paper towels into a Tupperware container and soak it with food coloring. You use the paper towels as a sort of ink-pad. Next time I may just shell out the cash for an un-inked foam pad. I’m also interested to see how different types of food coloring works. Some people swear by gel while others swear by airbrush food coloring. Thirdly, make sure you’re hu...

Nerd, Nerd, Nerd, Nerd is the Word

I really want to throw a nerd party! How fun would that be? If my husband was into parties I might would just throw him a nerd party for his birthday. He’s not a Screech type of nerd, but he does like to game and is into computers and gadgets. I’m definitely having trouble coming up with a catchy name for the invitations, but you know I’m ready for the food! I think I would start out with a periodic table cloth on the food table to set the stage. Much like this one from Learning beyond the books. Then I’d definitely bake a nice pi pie like this one from Bot Pie . Then I would pick and choose from some of theses ideas. Love the Jell-O Legos The Joys of Jello did! These cupcake stencils and cakelet pans from Williams Sonoma are so cool too! And who could forget drinks? Harry Potter Butterbeer anyone? As far as décor goes- I think these removable Mario wall stickers would be a nice addition, and these Star Wars (Lego) glow sticks could be fun favors. This is definitel...