Skip to main content

Party like it's 19(99)

We're possibly potentially moving forward in building our house! It's been a loooong time. We get a lot of questions about how things are moving along and honestly it's been waiting with some more waiting for almost 3 years now.

We spent 20 months waiting for the purchase to go through. I'm happy about that in a lot of ways- I think we got a killer deal and it gave us time to pay for it in full. The guy we bought it from did a ton of work dealing with the city and we saved a lot living in Hendersonville. It's also been so hard. It's hard on Josh to drive 45 minutes to an hour and 45 minutes each day. It's hard on the kids to have no yard. It's hard on me to cook with half of my stuff in storage. I'm so ready to move forward! So what's been happening in the past 14 months?

We bought a set of plans that ended up not working on our land. We bought another set that was custom drawn to the land and it ended up being 100k over our budget to build and we didn't know that for 10 weeks- the time it took from plan to quote. We had the plans reduced by 300 sq feet to reduce some cost, but after waiting 2 weeks for redraws and 10 more weeks for another quote based on the new plans we really didn't reduce the cost. The lumber cost went up and they hadn't included cabinets, counters, or a contingency in the first quote. The new quote is actually 2k more than the first quote. We're hoping we won't eat into the contingency (25k) and are *only* about 80k over what we expected, but mannnnn. We moved some things around and now that we're debt free we're hopefully able to make it work- but even so we still need to wait and see if it will even get approved. The bank still needs comparables in the area, they have to assess our land and our townhouse, and they'll need to make sure we're financially able to carry the load before we'll know what's next.

I'm probably going to try to go back to work in some form to be able to pay for the kids' school. My business doesn't currently make enough to cover even half a year. I reinvest too much and there's a lot of expenses that go along with it. I'm so nervous that I won't be considered for the jobs I am applying for. I've been out of practice and I feel like cobwebs are shaking around in there. Even if I do get hired will I do a good job? Change is scary- wish me luck.

Anias: 19 months
I say new words like… Jesus, done, up, yes mom, baby, macaroni, dog, eat it, boo
I have 18 teeth
My favorite food is fruit pancakes
My favorite toy is Eli's SWAT car, magic trax cars
Some other things I did include… climbing all over everything. I love to stand on chairs and feed Peanut Butter. I get lots of time outs for pinching, scratching, pulling hair, and kicking. I wake up at 5am every day- sometimes 4 if you're lucky. I surprised mom by taking my toy hammer and hammering the neighbor's car. I try to get into parked cars and trucks and I'm obsessed with ride on toys. 
I weigh 22lbs 10oz (26th percentile) and am 32 1/2 inches tall (47th percentile). The doctor thinks I may grow to be 5'10". My head is 19" (73rd percentile) 

Eli:

I told mom I didn't want to kill the ant and instead I would roar "so he'll walk away". He later told us that he didn't want the ant to hurt. I say funny things like "What in the whole wide world" and "smoky cows!" When mom told me Anias was one and a half I asked if I was four and a half. She said just about so I asked "Mom and I 4 an a half because my number is broken?" I like to draw circles for stomachs which mom thought meant a big round belly, but it turns out I was drawing the inside, anatomical stomach. I blamed my kidneys for a potty accident I had and I love to play hamster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Tips

This week’s focus is…         MENU Oh how I love food. After you’ve come up with your theme and your décor, it seems (at least to me) for the menu to come along naturally. I do have a few rules I try stick to. When I throw a party I generally like to have something crunchy you can snack on, something healthy(ish), something you could consider to be what I call “real food” aka something you would eat as part of a main meal, at least 2 drink options, and something deliciously sweet. Although I try to have some of the food options be theme-specific, I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. People might remember if your food was theme specific, but they’re definitely going to remember if your food was delicious. Don’t feel like you can’t make some of your favorite staples for a party! Make food you would like to eat- especially if you’re hosting. You might just have leftovers. If you’re staple food is steak, or something equally expensive or equally larg...

Dust yourself off & try again

Okay, I have persisted and I have a few tips. Fluffier frosting is definitely not the way to go. I used a fluffier frosting and the frosting ended up coming off the cookie with the stamp. This icing seemed to work much better. Secondly, brush cornstarch on top of the icing to limit the stickiness. PaperVine was so right about that! I had a rubber stamp and an acrylic stamp and the rubber stamp worked much better. That’s not to say that acrylic stamps won’t work, but I didn’t have an acrylic block to put the food coloring on. I used the paper towel method I read about somewhere (for the life of me I can’t find it), where you put paper towels into a Tupperware container and soak it with food coloring. You use the paper towels as a sort of ink-pad. Next time I may just shell out the cash for an un-inked foam pad. I’m also interested to see how different types of food coloring works. Some people swear by gel while others swear by airbrush food coloring. Thirdly, make sure you’re hu...

Nerd, Nerd, Nerd, Nerd is the Word

I really want to throw a nerd party! How fun would that be? If my husband was into parties I might would just throw him a nerd party for his birthday. He’s not a Screech type of nerd, but he does like to game and is into computers and gadgets. I’m definitely having trouble coming up with a catchy name for the invitations, but you know I’m ready for the food! I think I would start out with a periodic table cloth on the food table to set the stage. Much like this one from Learning beyond the books. Then I’d definitely bake a nice pi pie like this one from Bot Pie . Then I would pick and choose from some of theses ideas. Love the Jell-O Legos The Joys of Jello did! These cupcake stencils and cakelet pans from Williams Sonoma are so cool too! And who could forget drinks? Harry Potter Butterbeer anyone? As far as décor goes- I think these removable Mario wall stickers would be a nice addition, and these Star Wars (Lego) glow sticks could be fun favors. This is definitel...