Skip to main content

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Well, it’s official. I got a letter in the mail saying that I am no longer employed. It’s very bittersweet and kind of odd having no safety net, but I’ve been so busy I’m glad to have those 10 hours a week back to myself. I have been on the go for weeks now. Last week was dominated by illness and this week has been total catch-up. I have a feeling it will be like this until the new year, but at least I’m busy doing fun things.

Josh and I are doing our Tennessee Christmas on the 19th then I’ve got my next gig on the 20th and extended family Tennessee Christmas on the 21st. I’ve also got a photo shoot plus our party give away which will take place while I’m on vacation, so I’m prepping for all that. For the give away we’re doing a Pearls and Poinsettia’s Ladies Luncheon with 5 courses. I’m hoping it will be very classy (and delicious). Of course I’m most excited for the dessert course, but that’s neither here nor there.

I’ve also begun preparing for Eli’s CAT Construction party. I’ve already gotten quite a bit in, but there’s so much I plan to make for it that I’ve got to get a head start. By the way, we’re doing a no-gift party. Of course he’ll get something from us, but we don’t want to set a precedent that he should expect gifts from friends. You know it’s always awkward when you’ve gotten gifts for your birthday from everyone every year then one year you don’t and you wonder what happened. Josh says he doesn’t remember that, but I do. Of course that’s probably because I felt entitled. That’s not even to touch on the clutter that comes with all those gifts. Anyways, there’s nothing he needs and he’s a baby so honestly there’s nothing he wants (besides the ability to play on the computer). Don’t worry, he’ll still be spoiled I’m sure. And if you still feel compelled to give him a gift we wont be mad and will do our best to instill in him a spirit of thankfulness.

What we Bought: His birthday party invites! I. Can’t. Wait.
Most Awkward Moment: Sigh. Eli likes to “help” me change his diaper by grabbing his soiled diaper. You can imagine what kind of havoc this brings.
Best Moment: My sweet, sweet baby cuddling his stuffed otter. It was the sweetest thing.
How my life has changed: Eli’s a lot more independent now. Sometimes I can just read in the same room as him (still have to make sure he doesn’t get into wires). The house is in a constant state of clean mess. You can only pick up the same DVDs so many times a day before you resign to the fact that Eli’s going to pull them down, so maybe you should wait until he’s asleep.

Eli: Week 48
IMG_2350IMG_2354IMG_2370IMG_2380IMG_2384
I turned 11 months old this week! Every day when dad leaves for work I bang on the garage door and cry. I just miss him so quickly! I love to climb things, and I don’t mind being in my crib if I think I am the one who got myself there. I like to “comb” my hair and “talk on the phone” with pretty much anything I pick up. I only like to eat food that I can feed myself and you can’t sneak one by me and pretend you’re eating what I’m eating. I know better. I like to experiment with putting objects in different places. Mom often finds my letter magnets in the fridge and pots and balls, paint, etc. in her craft-table mason jar. I think crawling over pillows is a huge challenge and I love practicing walking (with mom’s assistance). I am so nice I share my toys with Optimus by trying to get him to eat my blocks. I also share my pacifier by trying to stuff my binkie in my parents’ mouths. My San Francisco monkey is my favorite toy.

Have a great weekend- there’s so much to do. Franklin is having their Dicken’s of a Christmas, Bellevue is having Christmas events at Red Caboose Park Sat 11-4 (Winterfest by Hope Park Church) and at YMCA Sunday, and  A Merry Music City Christmas is going on through Saturday downtown. I believe they’re all free too. We’ll probably hit one of those up. We’re also going to look for some land (!) and I’ve got a brunch scheduled. It’s going to be good!

Happy Friday!
-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Tips

This week’s focus is…         MENU Oh how I love food. After you’ve come up with your theme and your décor, it seems (at least to me) for the menu to come along naturally. I do have a few rules I try stick to. When I throw a party I generally like to have something crunchy you can snack on, something healthy(ish), something you could consider to be what I call “real food” aka something you would eat as part of a main meal, at least 2 drink options, and something deliciously sweet. Although I try to have some of the food options be theme-specific, I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. People might remember if your food was theme specific, but they’re definitely going to remember if your food was delicious. Don’t feel like you can’t make some of your favorite staples for a party! Make food you would like to eat- especially if you’re hosting. You might just have leftovers. If you’re staple food is steak, or something equally expensive or equally larg...

Dust yourself off & try again

Okay, I have persisted and I have a few tips. Fluffier frosting is definitely not the way to go. I used a fluffier frosting and the frosting ended up coming off the cookie with the stamp. This icing seemed to work much better. Secondly, brush cornstarch on top of the icing to limit the stickiness. PaperVine was so right about that! I had a rubber stamp and an acrylic stamp and the rubber stamp worked much better. That’s not to say that acrylic stamps won’t work, but I didn’t have an acrylic block to put the food coloring on. I used the paper towel method I read about somewhere (for the life of me I can’t find it), where you put paper towels into a Tupperware container and soak it with food coloring. You use the paper towels as a sort of ink-pad. Next time I may just shell out the cash for an un-inked foam pad. I’m also interested to see how different types of food coloring works. Some people swear by gel while others swear by airbrush food coloring. Thirdly, make sure you’re hu...

Nerd, Nerd, Nerd, Nerd is the Word

I really want to throw a nerd party! How fun would that be? If my husband was into parties I might would just throw him a nerd party for his birthday. He’s not a Screech type of nerd, but he does like to game and is into computers and gadgets. I’m definitely having trouble coming up with a catchy name for the invitations, but you know I’m ready for the food! I think I would start out with a periodic table cloth on the food table to set the stage. Much like this one from Learning beyond the books. Then I’d definitely bake a nice pi pie like this one from Bot Pie . Then I would pick and choose from some of theses ideas. Love the Jell-O Legos The Joys of Jello did! These cupcake stencils and cakelet pans from Williams Sonoma are so cool too! And who could forget drinks? Harry Potter Butterbeer anyone? As far as décor goes- I think these removable Mario wall stickers would be a nice addition, and these Star Wars (Lego) glow sticks could be fun favors. This is definitel...