Skip to main content

Oh Christmas Tree

It’s about time for CHRISTMAS VACATION! Woot Woot! I can NOT wait to see my family. Eli’s already had one of his three Christmases, but it won’t feel real until the calendar reads 25 December. So, before we do his recap, here’s a little about our week.

On the sleeping front- we are trying out a little mash up or tips and tricks. Thinking from purely a learning perspective, I think Eli is waking often because he’s getting lots and lots of positive reinforcement in the forms of rocking, singing, nursing, snuggling, etc. So here’s our game plan- first we play detective. At first and second wake up we make sure he’s not in pain, that he’s not gassy, that he doesn’t need a diaper change, and that he’s not hungry. After that if he wakes we’re sort of doing the pick up- put down method and decreasing the positive reinforcement, so he’ll get rocked, then held, then patted and sung to etc. At last resort (after an hour) we let him cry it out for a max of 10 minutes then we start over. He’s also being night weaned and his nap times are being altered per the suggestions from the Baby Sleep Site.

The first night it took an hour and 15 minutes to get him to go back to bed, but then he had a 2.5 hour stretch of sleep instead of 1 hour. Last night it only took 20 minutes and he’s still getting 2.5 hour stretches. It’s still a lot, but I think it’s working. He even put himself to sleep THREE times since we’ve started. Hooray!

Josh and I celebrated Christmas today so we don’t need to pack/ship all our gifts. I got him an ice cream maker, a hilarious Christmas shirt, Growler, handmade tickets to the Mayday Brewery, and pilsners. Nothing too big with my tiny budget. Josh totally spoiled me with a new 24mm lens which I’m totally in love with, a tripod that is actually the right size (unlike my other one), this amazing camera scarf, an Audrey Hepburn print, and an old book candle I’ve been wanting for ages. He also got me a book and a ton of Burt’s Bees chapstick. He pays attention! I love that he does.
IMG_2553IMG_2523IMG_2549IMG_2489
I’ve got a party documentation gig this afternoon and I’ve been super busy crafting Christmas gifts and getting Eli’s party ready, so be on the lookout for those. I should have some party previews done this evening!

What we Bought: Nothing! Amen.
Valuable purchase: These spoons, I love them and so does Eli. Also my friend Nicole gave me some hand-cream that is invaluable in these winter months.
Most Awkward Moment: Finding a Mac and Cheese packet in the washing machine…after doing the wash. I’m seriously rethinking putting our trash in the laundry room. I’m too tired.
Best Moment: Eli standing on his own! I’m calling it (although I still need a picture with his milestone card).

Eli: Week 49
IMG_2433IMG_2442IMG_2455IMG_2469IMG_2478IMG_2488IMG_2491IMG_2511IMG_2538IMG_2532IMG_2540
I can reach the tops of the counters now I’m so tall. I am officially standing on my own and on purpose. I love how soft my stuffed animals are and am often found rolling around in a pile of them or snuggling them. I think it’s hilarious to ride my moose rocker and I can’t stop giggling when mom gives me eskimo kisses. I also figured out how to open the baby gate at the top of the stairs. I know how to make mom and dad extra nervous. For Christmas mom and dad got me a pull Zeebra, a singing flashlight, a learning puppy, a Grinch pull book, My First Christmas PJs, a toy iPhone, a new cup, and a teether. I couldn’t figure out why the cup was defective. It was fun opening it all, but my favorite thing was mom’s monopod. I love swinging it around.

Have a great break!
-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m