Skip to main content

One day at a time

I think maybe I should’ve tried to be a doctor. Not because I enjoy biology or any reason like that- more so because it would’ve come in really handy these past few weeks. Poor Eli. First he had a cold, then an ear infection, skin allergies to various things (tape for sure, some detergents, lotions with scent), then gastroenteritis and potentially seasonal allergies. On top of that Josh caught the same GI bug and I have had this 2+ week cold. Some day our break will come, I’m just hoping that day is today.

Tuesday night Eli started vomiting. At first it was no big deal, sometimes babies do that, but then it really got going. He vomited 12 times in 7 hours and most of that was pure bile. We contacted our pediatrician after vomit #4 and they said to try 1/2 oz Pedialite every hour for four hours to see if that helped. It didn’t. He couldn’t even drink 1/4 oz before he was sick again. So we took him to the ER. At first the doctors were all calm until the bile came up then there was concern he might have a malrotated  intestine. Then came the tests. Two X-rays, various lab work, and an upper GI CT later they still weren’t sure what was going on, but they did rule our the intestinal issue. A surgical consult came next.The surgeon ruled out any surgical issues, but they still weren’t quite sure what was going on because Eli had blood in his urine (turned out to be from the ‘quick cath’ they used). It ended up just being gastroenteritis, AKA the stomach flu. I’m still glad we took him in. With as sick as he was he ended up being very dehydrated and had to be in the hospital for observation until Thursday afternoon, with most of that inpatient time being hooked up to an IV. It was not fun. He had his follow-up with his pediatrician Friday. His ears are now clear but they had to do a breathing treatment because his cold/potential allergies are causing a nasty wet chest cough. He seems to be feeling better today so let’s pray it keeps going. Josh is also now better and I’m convinced my forever long cold is turning around.

In spite of all the trials we have so much to be thankful for. I know that- even though it was very hard in the moment. Sleep deprivation + stress may due that to you. My rethinking strategies were stretched to their limit.  However, we had a ton of support. My amazing friends brought us dinner, Josh’s good friends let the dogs out, my in-laws came to the hospital to pray over Eli (they also got lunch), and my mother-in-law dropped everything and went out of her way to go get our groceries when we came home from the hospital. That gave me a chance to disinfect the entire house. Amazing.

That was pretty much our week so I don’t have much fun things to report, but I did get some pictures early this week of our beautiful boy.

What we bought: A Superman onesie I couldn’t pass up. It matches his bottle labels that I love. Seriously putting tape on his bottles and writing his name on it in sharpie was killing me. These dishwasher safe adorable labels make me less neurotic.
Invaluable purchases: Someone bought this for us- but Aveno baby lotion and bath gear. It’s perfect for Eli’s very very sensitive skin. Also this organic sunscreen came in handy when we went to the festival. I should’ve also brought a hat, but the sunscreen did it’s magic. Oh! And snap jammies/robe like tops helped out for his hospitalization.

Eli: Week 16
IMG_7906IMG_7914IMG_7922
Enjoying the Joey Jumper, Wearing one of my most adorable shirts
IMG_7936IMG_7937-2IMG_7942IMG_7944
Playing with my favorite blankie
photo 1 (5)
Getting in my first festival
This week I went to my first festival! It was Franklin’s city festival full of live music, craft fairs, a kiddie section I’m too small for as of right now, and lots and lots of food- which I’m also too small for right now. Regardless, I enjoyed being in the carrier while dad walked around. There was so much to look at. I ended our car ride home in just a onesie though (the two other outfits I had didn’t last long enough). I also spent more time exercising in my jumper and trying to roll over. I’m really close now! Unfortunately, I missed out on my ‘school’ pictures because I was in the hospital, but I’ll make it up next week. I’m a man of steel. I barely cried at all while I was sick, I even managed to smile in spite of it all. That being said, if I ever see an IV again it will be too soon. Oh! And- I found my feet!

That’s it for us! We’ve got shopping and hopefully lots of rest before we start the week over.
Have a great week!

-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m