Skip to main content

You Wanna Maserati? You better work

I just returned home from doing a ‘dry run’ for my return to work routine. I woke up at 5:45, made it out the door by 7, and made it to work by 8! Aside from Eli having a very rough night and early morning, it went really well! I did forget a few things- like setting the coffee to auto brew at 6:30, or pre-packing my lunch and Eli’s meals, or packing up his gas medicine- but it was a pretty good go. I feel a lot more prepared and pretty happy that I’m only getting up 15 minutes earlier than I used to. Granted I only got 5 hours of sleep instead of 9 but still.

Well, Eli made it for a half hour nap in his crib! That’s definitely better than nothing, but I’ll be honest, I’m the one that’s probably holding him back this week. I’ve been letting him play in his crib while I do laundry or wash dishes, which is going pretty well actually, but my return to work date has been on the forefront of my mind all week and I don’t want him in his crib! I want to hold him and snuggle him as much as possible. I have mixed feelings about returning to work. I’ve had weeks where the only adult I’ve seen is Josh. Now I love my husband, but I’m a bit more social than that. I miss spending time with my friends I’m excited to see my work friends and to do something productive. If only you knew how many days I’ve worn pajamas and only pajamas. It’s sad really. But, at the same time I know without a doubt I’m going to miss my baby! He’s grown so much already in these past 8 weeks. Even if I’m only gone from him for 4 more weeks- that’s 4 weeks! I’m slightly panicking y’all. I also feel like I’ve been pseudo-nesting all over again. I feel like all my little projects need to be complete before I return to work. I think it’s fair to say I’m full of dread. And I don’t mean this kind.

I did finish the baby bathroom! What do you think?
IMG_7435IMG_7425IMG_7428IMG_7434
I got the rug on sale at Target and used that as inspiration for my very budget-friendly projects. I just used scrapbook paper to create the sea-animal silhouettes and for the Flush-Wash-Brush sign I just used leftover supplies. I may buy a few more accents, but I’m pretty happy with it as-is. It’s baby friendly but not to the point where you feel weird using it as an adult.

On top of that I put up new artwork, rearranged some of our existing artwork, ordered a zillion pictures of Eli to take to the office, and updated my 4 scrapbooks (3 for Eli, 1 for the family). I also kept up with the new exercise regimen- though I over-did it a bit and tweaked my knee. I guess I’ll be limited for a bit.  
             IMG_7421IMG_7439
Eli is everywhere! New prints in our bedroom and in our dining room

Eli has his 2 month pediatrician follow-up Monday and I am not excited. I know the shots will probably bother me more than they will him, but I’m just cringing thinking about it. I am excited to see how big he is though! He’s growing like a weed.

What we bought: More baby pj’s! We are down to only a few since he’s getting so big
Invaluable Purchases: Okay- not a purchase but still invaluable- frozen meals. Around Thanksgiving my mom and I froze tons of meals to use during his newborn days and they have been life-savers. I still have at least 10 meals left. It’s awesome to have something when we don’t have time to run to the store (or when I send Josh to the store and I forget what ingredients I actually need).
Best moment: A few nights ago Eli wouldn’t sleep after his 10:30pm feeding so we put him in between us in bed hoping he would get tired. He was smiling and cooing at both of us and I just thought, this is it. We are a happy little family. We have everything I could ever want. Side note- if you haven’t watched About Time do it. It really reinforces the importance of mindfulness.
How my life has changed: I used to feel very uncomfortable making silly faces or talking to babies. Now I’m hopping around making ridiculous faces and silly noises and I don’t care. I love when Eli giggles and laughs and I’d do anything to make him happy. My heart is so full of joy.

Eli Check in: Week 8
IMG_7408
IMG_7359-2IMG_7362
Look at those baby blues!                                                                    Waving, as my nieces and nephews call it
IMG_7377IMG_7379
Our happy little boy
IMG_7330IMG_7385IMG_7390          Sporting a onesie                                  Look at those lashes! They are definitely getting darker                               Stretching out his feet
This week I had my first restaurant outing. I did really well and only cried a little bit. Mom made me giggle like crazy when she washed my face with a warm washcloth. I’ll have to try that again. I have come to like car rides and I learned to roll from my back to my side! I also graduated to size 2 diapers and 3-6 month clothes. Mom thinks I’m a bit chunky, but I just think I’m healthy. What 8 week old doesn’t drink 30 oz per day? One night dad forgot to set the alarm and I slept for 6 hours straight! I was starving when I woke up though. I like to scrunch down in my bassinet, that way I won’t run out of room and can sleep in mom and dad’s room even longer.I sleep best if I can put my hand on mommy. Daddy puts me to sleep by watching late-night Cops reruns.  I saw my first bit of Tennessee snow, but I decided to watch from a distance and stay warm, mostly for mom’s sake. She hates the cold. Dad is convinced my hair is coming in.  

That’s it for us this week! I’m not sure if I’ll update again until he’s 10 weeks old, but I hope I’ll find time! I’m looking forward to seeing some friends and eating some delicious food.

-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m