Skip to main content

The Juggling Act

Do you ever feel like Freddy Prince Jr. in She’s All That? Not sure what I’m talking about? The cheesy reference is below
But in all seriousness I really am exhausted. You have so many balls to juggle- work, sleep, exercise, infant nutrition to put it politely, taking care of your baby, hygiene, feeding your family, running errands, keeping the house clean & clothes washed, keeping up friendships, fostering spirituality, taking care of your dogs, nurturing your marriage, etc. From my calculations I have about 1 hour a day to take care of non-pressing matters. So of course things fall behind. The house gets a little extra messy, we eat out more than I’m comfortable, it happens, but it really really bothers me. I need to let go of my idea of what’s good enough and frankly I need to take better care of myself (hi, I’m 27 years old and I threw my back out), but where do you find the time? Needless to say I am so happy to be going part-time next week.

I only get 10 weeks of part-time, but it is worth it. I just hope Eli does okay being transferred again. We got him into a new daycare, not our #1 choice, long-term daycare so we get to look forward to transferring him yet again. It’s got to be hard on him. New environment, new people, less care and attention than he’s used to. Ah- I worry. At least I know I can quit anytime. I feel some guilt working, knowing that these years are short and you never get them back. But- I’ve only been working at my facility for 2 years and have been offered a management position. There’s only one position in our department since it’s so small and me being an unlicensed person, I may never get this chance again. Then what? In 5-6 years Eli is in school and I’ll be looking for work again. It would be nice to have that on my resume. Life goes on.

What we bought: We’re getting ready for our summer vacations! We got Eli natural sunscreen, natural bug spray, and portable bottle warmers (one for the car, one for on-the-go no outlet situations). We’re also just getting ahead of his needs. We bought a joey-jumper and two baby gates for the stairs.
Invaluable purchases: Our bassinet. At first I was on the fence if it really was worth it, but now that Eli’s getting better we use the seating function a lot more often. It goes higher than the pictures show. He sits there and bats at/tries to eat the toys from his mobile every morning. It’s also light and easy to move around the house unlike his swing. Even before now we could tilt it up a bit to help with reflux and digestion.
Also- the Little Remedies new parent survival kit. We use the saline drops to clean out his nose, the gas drops, the gripe water, and have used the pain relief after his shots.
How my life has changed: I’m pretty good at deciphering Eli’s cries. I sleep with contacts in so I can see him when he fusses. I still haven’t finished a book when I used to finish 2-4 per month.

Eli: Week 11
IMG_7529IMG_7530IMG_7561IMG_7555IMG_7546IMG_7535
This week I met two of my great-grandparents. They just loved me! I can’t wait to see them again. I’ve been a talking and giggling machine. I like to gnaw on my fingers and I love trying to put my snail in my mouth. There are some days where I prefer daddy to mommy. Lying on my side as mom holds me is no longer my favorite way to go to sleep, I’m running out of room like that! I like to be more vertical instead. I love looking in mirrors and sitting on laps. I laugh when other people laugh and I have some great expressions. I’m still a morning person! I’m happiest after I eat.

Have a great Sunday!
-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m