Skip to main content

It’s Independence Day

This past week was my friend’s last week at work which of course made it bittersweet. Sweet for the short week, bitter because she’s leaving us. Oh, it was my birthday on the 2nd too. Ha! I almost forgot. It seems like we mostly celebrated it last weekend with the Treat Yo’ Self events.

I did accomplish (mostly) everything on my list! Friday I had a massage which was amazing. I honestly didn’t think I had any tension; I rated it at a 1. That is, until they started massaging. So many knots. So many. Who could’ve predicted that I’d throw it out today? Well, probably the masseuse. Then Saturday we went shopping and I got 3 full workout outfits. I’ve been using jammies and leftover cheerleading practice shorts and MHC provided tee shirts. It really was not a good look and not fit for actual exercise. I may be vain, but it has been more motivating because I want to wear all the clothes! After shopping we had lunch at Chipotle, a manicure, a jog on the Greenway, and then ice cream. Always ice cream. We came home and I scrapbooked and watched Winter’s Tale. What do Will Smith, Colin Farrell, Russell Crowe, and Jennifer Connolly have in common? This terrible movie. I do not recommend it. The Sunday it was brunch, pedicures, and a nap. The only thing I didn’t get to was scrapbooking. May got done, but I still have June, my digital scrapbook, and my video scrapbook to complete.

Wednesday was minimal in comparison. Josh did take me out to Edley’s BBQ and Jeni’s ice cream. That place (Jeni’s) is the best thing since sliced bread. I really think I could eat it on a daily basis. We had salted carmel ice cream, brambleberry ice cream, a lemon blueberry yogurt, and a peach riesling sorbet. It was amazing. And then we topped it off with Mexican food so I didn’t have to go grocery shopping. All in all a really, really good day.

Josh got me a vanity as well. It’s unfinished at this point, which is just how I like it! He said it’s two gifts in one because he knows I like projects. I have so many ideas at this point that all I’ve bought so far is sandpaper. I picked out a stain but they were out at the Home Depot. I can’t wait to start working on it. I’m too lazy to go take a picture right this instant- so here’s the stock photo.

I know I’m going to stain, do new fabric, and get new knobs for sure. I have other thoughts as well but we’ll see!

We also started Eli on ‘real food’ this week. I guess we’re semi-doing baby-led weaning. He wanted to gnaw on Josh’s apple so we let him. That being said, we are only giving him approved food for his age and are keeping him to two new foods a week. So apples and bananas are it this week. I’m not committing to anything, we’re just doing what makes sense for us.

What we bought: We got three different sippies to see what Eli likes. He hated the Avent ones, but he was a fan of the Nuk and some random, Toys R Us brand sippy with a straw.
Invaluable purchases: The raz-berry teether is now one of Eli’s favorite things. I was beginning to wonder if it was a waste of money, but apparently it isn’t!
How my life has changed: I cry much more easily, and usually the things that make me cry are in relation to children. Any story about a child interests me. I cry when they are hurt, I cry when their parents are neglectful, and I cry when they overcome adversity or are kind. I’m a bit of a mess. I’ve also gotten really good at brushing my teeth with a baby on my hip.

Eli: Week 25
IMG_8601IMG_8578IMG_8590IMG_8607IMG_8611IMG_8626IMG_8629
This week we celebrated the fourth of July. Besides honoring America’s Independence, we also celebrated my first taste of real food! I started having a bit a rice cereal last week, but this weekend I tried an apple. It was delicious! I turned myself completely around in my crib this week, and got stuck completely sideways once while attempting the feat. I communicate mostly in a series of hums and short giggles. I like to sit in my highchair, listen to 1950’s music, and chew on teethers while mom or dad cooks. But my favorite thing is to dance around to it on mom’s hip. I’ve gotten pretty good at using straws, but I still gnaw on my other sippy’s top for good measure. I love love love my feet, and feel accomplished when I can finally get that toe in my mouth. I got the good news that I’m graduating to the second infant classroom at the Academy. There I’ll learn to crawl and stand, I’m dying to get the latter down especially. I love to be upside down and I like to give kisses.

I hope your long weekend is full of fun get-togethers or long bouts of alone time, whatever you prefer!
-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m