Skip to main content

If at first you don’t succeed

Ah, as I write this my baby boy is napping in his swing. We made it less than 5 minutes in his crib, but we keep on trying. He’s about too big for his bassinet now, so time is of the essence. I don’t know what’s worse? Having an extremely tired (eh hem- grumpy) baby that won’t sleep in his crib or having a well-rested baby who only sleeps when he’s right next to you or being rocked in his swing. I seriously tried to put him in his crib about 5 times yesterday and it always ended with Eli crying intensely and me rocking him back to sleep. Needless to say each time it took longer and longer for him to get back to sleep. Official sleep time? 11:30pm- Midnight (not in his crib, mind you). To put that in perspective- he usually goes to bed between 8:30-9. It would be nice to have him in his room before I go back to work.

Speaking of which, I heard back from the time away from work center and my leave has been approved. Make that one less stress. After calling around and finding out that the waiting list for ideal locations would put Eli in daycare by…drumroll…August, Josh and I decided to hire a nanny for a maximum of 4 weeks. If Eli isn’t in daycare by the end of 2 weeks I’m putting in my notice and will finish out two weeks at work. I really want to do something at least part-time, but financially this actually makes more sense right now. Tennessee gives you the right to take 16 weeks for ‘baby bonding’, which is awesome, but, I figure I can stay home for the next month without getting paid at all and then potentially be in the same position or, I can make a few bucks in the next month and cut my losses. Luckily a friend of ours offered to watch the babe while I finish out my month. I have such a sense of peace right now. He will be cared for by someone I know will treat him well and actually enrich his life.

By the way, I had so many ridiculous applications for the position. If you use shorthand (“message me w any questions”), have a profile picture of a selfie in your car (let’s just hope she was at a stoplight?) or ask me to move you here from Montana in order to live in my house…for a temporary position…then you’re not the man for the job. This week by week deal was like nails on a chalkboard for me. Is my type A is showing? Things kept coming up making it harder for me to return to work and now it’s all coming together. I was lying in bed last night with Josh saying “Oh now I can volunteer at the nursing home or put up an Etsy store, or get certified to plan weddings, or coach cheerleading, or teach at a local community college or teach online, or…”. I just felt this sense of freedom to say goodbye to my workplace. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the environment and the people, but I don’t want to miss Eli’s first steps or first words. I want to go see my family more often without apologizing. I don’t want to have 3 waking hours with my baby before he’s out.

In other news, I finally was cleared to exercise so I’ve been doing that. I was laughing with my friend talking about how insanely out of shape I am. I figured, hey, rocking and holding a ginormous baby all day had to be toning something. I was wrong. Everything is sore. I’m halfway surprised my fingers aren’t sore it’s that out of control.

What we bought: More gas medicine! Poor baby boy he has it so bad every day. He’s 7 weeks old and has gone thru an entire bottle. Must discuss with the pediatrician next week.
Best moment: I still love Eli’s sleep giggles. They are so cute and totally improves my exhausted self’s mood.
How my life has changed: I am much more comfortable in my own skin- and I don’t mean just physically. I feel like it’s okay to put my ideas out into the world without stressing about whether or not people will like me or if they’ll think I’m a fool. Having a baby has brought out some great characteristics in  myself. I have loads more patience. I’m more persistent and less vain. I’m even a tad more social. Now when I think to myself I should verbalize my love or thanks to someone I do it. Less filtered Shantel is not so bad.

Eli’s 7 week Check In
IMG_7282IMG_7278
Napping in our bed- Ohhhhh yeaaaa………………….Napping in his crib- Ohhhhh noooo!
IMG_7297IMG_7304IMG_7290
“Tummy” Time with my friend the Owl
IMG_7283IMG_7329
                  Meeting new friends in my letterman jacket
IMG_7324
This week I’ve been protesting my unfair sleeping conditions. Why do my parents keep sneaking me into a crib while they lounge in a comfy bed? They say it’s for my safety and that I’m getting too big for my bassinet, but I tell them hey, if you’re not budging neither am I. Mom tried out the tummy time mat again. I didn’t give it much of a chance on my belly, but when she flipped me over I was pleased. There’s so much to look at!  I saw owls that rattled and birds that squeaked. My favorite toy was a big ole’ brown owl. I still am rocking my baby mullet, but not by choice. My hair just hasn’t grown much on the top of my head. Hey, mom says she was bald until age 1, so at least I’ve got a little something. I’ve been exercising my legs a bit more. I like to kick all the time and my favorite new thing is to be held like I’m sitting or standing. Got to get fit early. I see how much mom is struggling. Who wants that? 

That’s it for me!
-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m