Skip to main content

Cupid’s arrow has struck

Happy Valentine’s Day! Josh and I don’t celebrate Valentine’s until the 15th, since I hate crowds and really any day could be Valentine’s Day, but tomorrow we’re planning on going to see Winter’s Tale (yay for girlie movies) and we may even grab some food while the in-laws spend time with our baby boy. I stopped by work yesterday to show Eli off and brought some Valentine’s Chex mix for my coworkers as well. I did get Josh a present to open when he gets home tonight, but today I wanted to share details of another gift I got him. Remember when I mentioned that I made Josh a new daddy gift? While it did play on the word ‘Pop’ it also had a deck of playing cards I personalized for him. I loved the idea of listing 52 reasons why I love him, and while I’ve seen some playing cards done up on Pinterest, most didn’t look very ‘finished’. So I used Word and Paint to come up with 52 captioned pictures of things I love about Josh before I plugged them into Printer’s Studio, who printed out the cards for a mere $7 with tax and shipping. I just love them. What do you think? 
IMG_7138
This week has been much much better. I’ve been able to work in a few crafts, which has helped me feel more like myself. I started a newspaper decoupage project that I hope to finish next week and I finished Eli’s going home outfit shadow box. I also hope to document Eli’s first Valentine’s Day tonight with this LOVE project. Poor Eli, his mamma is so sentimental.
IMG_7124Thank you everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. I am now physically well, which definitely impacts my mood. I realized a little late that while last week’s title was encouraging, the tone was decidedly depressing. That being said, this has been the best season of my life so far. Being a mother is incredibly difficult, but it is so worth it and is such a blessing. I wouldn’t trade this for anything. Eli fills my heart with so much joy!

What we bought: Nothing! I think this is the first week since I found out I was pregnant that I didn’t buy anything for baby boy
Invaluable purchases: Pacifier wipes- yeesh, especially with the dog hair- and gas drops. He doesn’t respond all that well to gripe water but the gas drops work wonders. Oh! And the bottle warmer. I didn’t know that having even slightly chilled milk can cause tummy pain and/or gas. I wish I would’ve known earlier. I figured  he was drinking it a little cool so who cares? Whoops.
Best moment: Eli officially, without a doubt smiled! I was changing his diaper and he gave me the hugest, gummiest smile and then continued to coo and smile as I talked to him. He gives me at least a smile a day now, but I’ve yet to get it on camera. Also, it’s so sweet to see Eli calm down when he hears my voice.
How my life has changed: A certain little man has been taking over the bed lately. He’s going thru a stage where he wants held all the time. He’ll be fed, burped, changed, and sometimes even given gas drops if that seems to be bothering him, and he’ll still want held, or at least right next to you. He’ll be sound asleep in your arms and when you put him in his bassinet he wakes up and cries until he’s in your arms again. I really don’t mind. I love snuggling him, it’s so sweet! But it does break my heart to hear him cry and cry when I put him down so I can sleep, warm up a bottle or make myself lunch. Speaking of, I’ve been really bad about taking care of myself. I know I have to keep up my calories, but there have been days where I don’t eat until 2pm.

Eli: Week 5
IMG_7073IMG_7082IMG_7139IMG_7086IMG_7119IMG_7102-2
This week I broke out my million dollar smile, but I haven’t let mom get it on camera yet. I discovered dad’s iPhone and watched a mesmerizing clip of Baby Einstein. I had my first excursion into the world (the pediatrician doesn’t count) when I went to work with mom for a bit. Everyone oohed and aahed over me. I did great! I didn’t even cry in the car like I used to. I burp best when mom and dad bounce me around a bit on their knee. I outgrew some of my 3 month clothes I’m getting so tall. I can’t wait to see how big I am in a few weeks. I like to kick while I eat and think the boppy makes a perfect lounge chair. Optimus is very interested in me and likes to comfort me when I get my diaper changed by staring at my face from 3 inches away. Kito isn’t around much, but he does sit under my swing sometimes.

I hope you have a day full of love!
-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m