Skip to main content

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue


Or rather- I’m ba-ack. I’m so excited it’s almost Halloween! Of course I’ve been planning a party already (and I have my costume & my dog’s costumes in). So let me fill you in on Denver. My brother had some sweet shirts made for the group supporting my niece, Kamiree, and 40 some people showed up! This is what it all looked lie
460826_10152121563435010_347421169_o
338442_10152103398955573_1989667720_oFront of the shirt
621326_10152103395560573_1086373286_o
Back of the Shirt                                    
And the girl of honor? She’s doing so good! She had great days when we were there and has expanded her vocabulary like crazy. I did not end up making anything for the walk, but I think that was for the best. They had local businesses provide all sorts of goodies that were just amazing (and free for the participants). I still want to raise money for the cause, but I need to expand my ideas on that. I can’t exactly ship cookies across country any time. Any ideas?
Okay so moving on-
Where on earth did something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a sixpence silver in her shoe come from? England it seems. Apparently each item is supposed to represent a good luck token for a happy marriage. See?
  • "Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past.
  • "Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead.
  • "Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.
  • Blue has been connected to weddings for centuries, symbolizing love, modesty, purity and fidelity.
So- Natasha has chosen to have a piece of her mother’s wedding dress tied around her bouquet for her something old and her dress is new, but the borrowed and blue items are MIA. Here’s my suggestions for something blue.

I like how subtle these pearl earrings are. I’m not sure I love the blue bead on the earrings on the left, but I think they would look really pretty dangling. I do just adore the earrings on the right, even though they’re trying to market them to kids! Haha, what can I say? I’m a kid at heart? I truly think they’re beautiful.
il_570xN.151784072il_570xN.374175441_ly7b                            













I wore a ring given to me by my sister on our wedding day (I also wear it every day) and it really added some interest to our pictures. That’s why I think these blue rings may just hit the spot. The ring on the left adds a lot of sparkle, but I just fell in love with this ring on the right, even though I know it’s probably a bit gaudy for a wedding. If you can’t wear gaudy jewelry on your wedding day when can you wear it?
il_570xN.238946471il_570xN.332687823      











I can’t believe this ice blue necklace on the right is only $8! I think it’s so subtle, but I’m not sure it would work out with Natasha’s classic theme. This sapphire necklace will definitely pop even more and I just love the color, but again I’m not sure if you want it to draw attention from the very neutral theme.
il_570xN.372024296_outnSapphire Necklace Ocean Blue Necklace Vintage Glass Jewel Rhinestone Necklace Silver Plated Faceted Rhinestone Eco Friendly Retro Fashion                           














These bracelets definitely are subtle and pretty. I like this silver and blue bracelet on the left, but the pearls on the bracelet on the right seem a tad more vintage to me.
il_570xN.347324732il_570xN.362914229_8td6                        










Not wanting blue jewelry? How about adding some pizazz to your shoes. I love these shoe decals and they make for great pictures. Shoe clips definitely add a lot of character to your shoes. These feathered options would be cute on the sides of your shoes, but the blue bows are just SO sweet!
il_570xN.278224403il_570xN.314143428il_570xN.361159555_62b9 







 

Not into that either? You could have a wedding charm made to put on your bouquet. This blue pearl is surrounded by your wedding date, making it really personal AND it would be beautiful on a simple silver chain to wear as a necklace after the fact.
Lace from mom's dress wrapped around the bouquet.. something old... Such a great idea!il_570xN.362654790_eopq


                                                                          AND of course there are always blue garters. What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m