Skip to main content

Here We Go Chemo/That's Hot

I might need to keep doing biweekly blogs just to keep my mind straight. Writing definitely helps me feel all zen, even if I'm the only one reading them.

Here We Go Chemo
Remember the little infographic about my dad? Well he fell here...

in the terminal section. That doesn't mean he's going to die tomorrow (thank God!), but he's definitely more likely to die from cancer than old age. So that's not the most exciting news. The good news is there are still treatment options, and he's begun hormone therapy and will start chemo next week. Eli and I are going down to help (Eli is so excited to feed their dog) and enjoy their company in general. Modern medicine is so amazing and moving so quickly and I still feel hope that he will be around to meet my grandkids, but if you pray- pray for him please- and us.

That's Hot
It's that time of year again, the hot toy list is out! It's filled with robots and Teddy Ruxpin (ha!) and a bunch of seemingly really fun things, but I have to tell you- I'm not about it. That probably sounds horrible, but to be honest Anias' birthday and consignment sales just passed and those helped put things into perspective.

We just consigned almost every toy we bought Eli for Christmas last year along with many birthday toys. Throughout the year we also gave away or sold several more bags worth. I know that he enjoys opening toys and some toys truly are so much fun for to him, but he is so overwhelmed with toys that he hardly plays with what he has or appreciates gifts- well, to the extent I would like him to at least. Two months ago we put in a toy storage system, identifying what's inside each bin with decals for the kids to easily find what they want, and we got rid of everything that didn't fit in the system. As of right now, even after giving away toys, we are overflowing yet again!

Thankfully Eli doesn't complain of boredom. He's quite creative and can focus well on what interests him, but he doesn't take care of his toys and doesn't miss them when we store them away to give away later. I know people say "just rotate them!", but we live in a 1500 sq foot house with virtually no storage, no yard, and no garage. Besides, some other child could enjoy them instead of them sitting in a box somewhere. Any gift is a good gift, but some things I've been thinking of...

1. Gift cards to: Hoppity Hop, Jump Street, bowling alleys, putt putt golf
2. A membership to First Baptist Church so he can play inside their indoor playground on cold winter days
3. Take him to the park, to the movie, out for ice cream, Chik Fil A, or to go wash the car (this kid loves washing the car)
4. Dr. Seuss or Curious George books
5. Matching clothes for him and baby - he loves to match brother!
6. Swim, karate, hockey, or music lessons
7. Supplies to take care of his dog (We're getting a dog for the kids this Christmas)
8. Roller blades- he uses everything to "skate" around the house
9. Tickets to Paw Patrol Live, the Grinch, or The Nutcracker- he's been really curious about plays
10.  Funds for future schooling. The elementary school we're hoping he will go to is quite expensive.

We will definitely do our best to instill gratitude in his little heart as he is showered with gifts and attention this Christmas, but I feel horrible giving away toys that were just gifted to him/them.

Anias: 13 Months

I say new words like… “Eli", "bye" 
I have 8  teeth
My favorite food is eggs
My favorite toy is my dinosaur ball popper and my choo choo Mimi and Sabba got me for my birthday
Some other things I did include… 
I got my first haircut and I didn't mind one bit! I was happy to sit and drive my airplane around for the majority of the time. I wield my fork like a master! I spear my food and eat it with no problem, and I won't eat any meal if you don't hand me my own utensils. I wake up every day between 4:30-5am. I say "yeah" and point to what I want with insistence and I have have a question tone I use. If I think mom doesn't understand what I'm asking for I will throw the object at her (like when I wanted her to turn on my dinosaur ball popper). I use everything as a walker and I love to scream and brush mom's hair. I shake my head no. I like to clean the table and high five.  I try to open the doors with mom's keys and clap for myself when I stand and walk. I get into every box I can- pretty much like a cat.

Eli:
"Did you get a smiling one mom?"
I call mom's freckles "sprinkles" and got really excited when I found a sprinkle on my own body! I like to explain baby's actions by saying "baby's just being a baby" and I informed mom that stomachs look like engines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m