Skip to main content

30 for 30

We have 10 weeks left and I am wildly unprepared in some ways. When I was pregnant with Eli I'm pretty sure by now I had his nursery done, extra meals frozen, diapers stockpiled, and the house spick and span. We have a baby sprinkle in 4 weeks so I'm leaving some of the nursery until then, but really I'm just taking a break. I haven't even registered at the hospital yet. Eli takes up a lot of my energy and just when I get the couch shampooed he "helps" me "clean" by pouring milk all over it and rubbing it around. I'm not mad, but I'm not about to scrub the floors either knowing a) the baby will not be on the floor for a bit and b) it's going to get messy in 2.7 seconds. I do clean and clean and clean, but it's neverending. I also packed my hospital bag and Eli's overnight bag just in case. I freaked out a little the other day thinking my water was about to break because seriously I felt just like I did when my water broke with Eli. In other terms of nesting, I pushed for a new car, which Josh graciously gave into.


 

We had quite a bit of problems with the Dodge, which is not ideal because we just paid it off earlier this year. Anyhow, it was a gas-guzzling, service needing, hard to put Eli into car. Josh has been driving the Kia to work because it gets 35mpg and the Dodge was getting maybe 10mpg in the city so I was stuck with, in my mind, a time bomb. The car was in the shop or threw a code about once every 6 weeks and I could just imagine driving Eli and Anias to pick up groceries and having it stop shifting, like it liked to do. So- we bought a Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC. I absolutely love it. It gets awesome gas mileage and had most of my must-have's. I did postpone putting in the DVD system, since Anias won't be forward facing for a few years and Eli has an iPad holder that attaches to the headrest. Still, it is small enough to not feel like I'm climbing Mt Everest on the daily and big enough to fit 7 people. The best part? It has a 10 year bumper to bumper (not just powertrain) warranty. With our recent history of lemons that was the deal maker. I do feel bad throwing more debt on our family since we were getting so close to being debt free, but I still think it was a good decision. 

I've been kind of grouchy lately, and I don't know if it's hormonal, or if I'm just bummed that I'm 30 now (okay, I am in two days). I've always been really excited to get older, but lately I've been thinking what have I really done with my life? I guess I envisioned my 30 year old self as someone I'm not. Someone who works out and gets her hair done more than twice a year. Someone who buys eye cream and makeup you can't get at Kroger. Someone whose clothes actually fit and are in style. It's all very surface level when I think about it, but when you're cleaning up your son's potty training accidents and managing a meltdown over giving into his requests (example: I want a granola bar! Ok- here you go. "No no granola bar!"), it can feel fruitless. I'm just kind of a mess let's be honest. 

Then again, I get to see Eli's hilarious daily realizations and in those moments I think to myself, this is what I live for. Work will always be there, but my kids will only be kids for a little while and I am blessed. I know I won't look back on my life and wish I had been more of a Stepford wife or wish that I had more years logged in the ole workforce. I just have to be purposefully mindful of the goodness of this life. I'm exhausted sometimes, but I'm thankful that I get to sleep 10 hours a day. I sometimes feel like my mind is being wasted, but I'm thankful that it's being filled with memories. 

Anyhow, we're headed to Memphis to celebrate the big 3-0! BBQ, duck parades at the Peabody, a day at the zoo with hippos. I think it's going to be good.

Anias: Week 30

Baby’s size: Cantaloupe 
Symptoms: Actually, I think the nausea is letting up! I've only been super nauseated once this past week, avoiding spicy food, garlic, tomato sauce, and too much sugar is paying off. I've also been much luckier this time around with charlie horses! AND I passed my glucose test woot woot. My hips hurt, but overall I'm doing good.
Cravings: root beer, pickles, and Cheetos
Other things: Eli gives me kisses every day and pats me to make sure I'm warm. He keeps leaving the room saying he's going to go see baby, and he tried to feed me cereal through mom's belly. I love to kick especially when Eli is laying on mom's belly. 


Eli:
Eli wanted me to take pictures of him; he liked this picture of his foot haha
Eli after telling me "Sweet dog! Jesus loves him"

I make friends easy and am so kind to other kiddos, but I don't yet understand why other kids don't get my fascination with vacuums. I have become obsessed with cars, tractors, and dinosaurs and will sneak out of my bed at night to find a truck to play with. Sometimes I miss out on activities because I refuse to get dressed.  Unknown noises scare me and I make mom put her hand behind my back to make me feel better. I know what a rectangle is (I identified a granola bar's shape) and I like to pretend I'm in 'The Good Dinosaur' by telling mom "I lost the river!" 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m