Skip to main content

Moving to the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches

Moving is not the jam. Some studies indicate it’s one of life’s top 3 stressors, while others don’t even place it in the top 10. I’m just saying, it’s not the most fun I’ve ever had, but I’m glad we did it anyway. I have to admit there were times I wondered what the heck I was doing. I urged Josh to put the house on the market so we wouldn’t have to move at 6 months pregnant and here I was at 24 weeks pregnant (mm hmm do the math) finishing our move. During the process it felt like the small bumps in the road were huge signs saying “Hey! You made a mistake”. The title company was just randomly closed for two days (4 with the weekend), and we ended up being homeless for 7 days. Thank goodness my sister is a short flight away! Eli loved seeing his family and still asks daily if we can go on a plane to Denver. 

On our way back they delayed our flight just long enough to miss the closing because of ICE! IN MAY! And because I missed the closing it was a convoluted process that took 2.5 hours instead of half an hour. At least we had a power of attorney signed so Josh was covered. After the closing Josh ran out the door hoping to make it to the townhouse by 3pm when our movers were scheduled, but they were super late and their phone just kept ringing so we had keys but no possessions. We honestly thought we had been scammed.

We had to plan our move over two days because the Pod couldn’t be delivered the 16th, which meant we paid double for movers and those movers were nice, but very unprofessional. Then the Pod truck broke down and our 11-2 delivery turned into 7pm so the movers had to come yet another day. The movers told Josh they were underpaid and needed to make more money to fix up their car and feed their families, so they offered to move us themselves. I understand where they were coming from, their boss only supplied a Uhaul and dollies one day, day two they were dropped off by a friend without equipment and left stranded at our house so Josh had to drive them back, and day three Josh had to pick them up himself and drop off their dollies the next day. I mean, it was ridiculous. So long story- but Josh ended up giving them double, once over to pay their boss so they wouldn’t lose their job and once so they were able to survive. We will not be using them again. It’s nice to have a compassionate husband but not so nice to get out floors scratched up and walls dented.

Oh and our TV broke and Comcast showed up Wednesday for our appointment and was like- you’re not set up for it sorry. Blah. Finally after 7 days without internet we’re ready! You don’t realize how much you use the internet until you don’t have it- balancing our budget, updating addresses, delivering galleries to clients, letting Eli watch Handy Manny. I’m so thankful we’re back in business.

Our townhouse is 800 sq feet smaller and Anias’ “room” is really a loft above our bedroom BUT there are so many good things about it. We are in a very good position to have our land paid off when we close, which means no payments and instant equity to use to build. Our mortgage is about $500 less a month, which means more savings and we’re closer to family and a lot of friends. It also satisfied my urge to move. I’m used to packing up and moving every couple of years and here we are with new places to explore while getting to keep our friends and Josh’s job. Eli immediately cried when we showed him his new house, and he asks about Optimus every day, but I think he’s getting used to it. Every day he seems to sleep a little better and play a little more nicely. I know he’s definitely happy about seeing his Mimi more and I’m thankful to not be woken up by trains at all hours.

I will take pictures soon! 

24 Weeks (I'm 25 weeks now, whoops)


Baby’s size: Eggplant
Symptoms: More of the same but add in lots of cramping. My doula said she’ll give me stretches to help Anias move to a more comfortable spot when that happens and I'm excited to learn that. I started tracking what makes me sick and so far it includes: pickles, salad, fruit, pancakes
Weight gain: 24 lbs
Cravings: Deviled eggs, Chicken Marsala
Milestone: If I gave birth now, Anias would have a decent chance at survival
At the doctor: He weighed 1.5 lbs and had a heart rate of 150
Other things I’ve noticed: Anias kicks the most when I sing to Eli before naps or bedtime. He still freezes up most of the time when Josh tries to feel him kick, but he’s super active at about 11pm every night. I am ready to nest and dying to get his room ready.

Eli

I can sing all of the ABC song and I like to count stairs, although after 10 I just start over at 1 and randomly throw in a thirteen. I know circle, star, white, red, and blue. I say cute little things like mail mail for mailman, unch for lunch, and love has a b in it. I sing I've got Peace like a River and draw dinosaurs every chance I get. I think all barking dogs are Optimus and ask mom to buy Optimus special treats. I'm very, very persistent. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Velveteen Rabbit

We’re at week 32! Only 8 more weeks to go. Yesterday we had our final baby shower and it was just adorable. My in-laws threw us a Velveteen Rabbit themed shower. Take a look at these pictures my sister-in-law took of all the sweet decorations. Isn’t it just adorable? I was so sad to tear down the diaper cake, but that wreath is going to go on his nursery door I’m sure. Eli is so lucky to have a crafty grandmother. Not only did she decorate the shower, but she also made him a ton of personalized burp cloths, onesies, pants, blankets, and bibs. Aren’t they soooo cute? I’m thinking about changing his going home outfit to be his little lion onesie she made him with his name embroidered on it. We’ll have to see! Oh and that bear backpack! Isn’t it precious? I can’t wait to pack it up for him to go out to his Mimi’s. He’ll just love it.                     Now for his week 32 check in… Weight Gain:   29 lbs in 32 weeks. Crazy! I did gain 5 of those lbs wh

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

I’m so depressed! The Halloween party we were planning was cancelled (yea-that means we cancelled it). I LOVE love love Halloween, but I’m okay with a low-key night since many of our friends are going to be out of town the weekend we had planned to throw the party. Last year Josh and I spent time handing out candy to neighbor kids and watching the shining. Of course I decorated like crazy, but this year I think I’ll probably keep the decorating outdoors and use the food to celebrate the occasion. Here’s what I had planned food-wise for the Halloween Party. For (eh-hem, real food) snacks.         Trick or Treat Turnovers                                                       Pizza Mummies For crunching and munching on                   Scarecrow Crunch For dessert       Candy Corn Rice Krispies                        Monster Mash Pudding                  Pretzel and Brownie Skeletons I’ll probably let Josh pick out what I make for the occasion since all of it looks SO good

Ready Set, Have You Met...

In the event you don't know, the end of that lyric is "Robocar Poli" which has been playing often in this house lately. Anias and Eli both love it, and with the spiders, ticks, rain, and overall grouchiness of a sleep deprived almost 2 year old I'm just going to roll with it. Josh and I have been busy trying to fix up the house, but unlike those before and after seemingly instant photos it's taking over a month to just finish what we've already started, but we're getting closer! We're taking a long weekend together without the kids this week up in Chicago and I'm excited! It will be nice to explore a new place and see one of my favorite all-time bands: Beach House. Anias: 23 Months I say new words like ...Poli (requesting the show Robocar Poli), mowing, kick it, mint, bike, night night, eat it, cereal, battery, sheep, chick, here you go Mama My favorite food is ...macaroni, but I also like hamburgers and won't hardly have a m