Skip to main content

Mommy Guilt

Ah this week. What a rollercoaster. Sunday we had a great Easter with Josh’s family, but Monday started out with taking Eli to the doctor and finding out he had a “very bad” ear infection. I seriously didn’t notice him pulling on his ears at all and he did not have a fever when we took him in. He was even smiling at me in the midst of coughing. I don’t know how I was supposed to know. Next time I guess I’ll have a head’s up. On top of that he had a rash all over his body because I couldn’t find the time to get his Easter outfit washed. I figured hey, I know no other kid wore it around since there’s no dressing room in the store. I didn’t even consider that their detergent might hurt our little boy. So of course I called in to work to take care of him, which was okay but hard on my coworkers, since Mondays are the only days we are short staffed. I was also about to take a 6 week leave to take care of Eli, since Monday we had only a vague “late April to mid May” response as to when he would get into the program. My boss was not pleased. Needless to say we had a rough start. Then- it turned around. Eli finally got into his daycare and he is feeling so so much better. I’m happy to finally have a concrete schedule. As I chant to Eli when he is upset- “It’s all okay.”

Here’s a few pictures from this past week-
IMG_7872
Easter
IMG_7928IMG_7931
Gifts from my husband
IMG_7925
Mismatched vases, endless cleaning, baby gear everywhere, happiness and beauty all at once. That about sums up my life

What we bought: Socks! He’s outgrown all but a few pairs
Invaluable purchases: Now that he’s sleeping in his crib (when he’s not sick) I love our Dlink camera so I can log into my phone and watch him. It has night vision and we have speakers so we can talk to him (even though I haven’t used the speakers yet). I also really love our Angel Care monitor. I don’t have to worry if he’s too hot or too cold, if he stopped moving or if he stopped breathing. Plus I love that it serves as an audio monitor and nightlight. Also- this kit came in handy this week.
How my life has changed:  Everything I wear is baby friendly. I’ve been known to keep wearing clothing even after Eli spit up on them- but Tide to go pens are my best friend. My at-home life revolves around Eli’s naps. I’ve about memorized a few children’s books at this point.

Eli: Week 15
IMG_7863IMG_7900photo 2 (5)
Me and my Mimi, my favorite toy, smiling through the sickness
IMG_7892IMG_7894
Thanks Ms. Sonja for the cute bunny eared hat!

This week I had a fantastic Easter Celebration with my extended family. I loved all of it except the long car ride. I got to spend 4 days at home with my parents because I had my first ear infection. It still was a good week and I kept on smiling. Some things that make me smile now? Getting kisses, being cheered on when I practice rolling (haven’t quite made it all the way yet), and looking at the fan in mom and dad’s room. I like when my parents read me books and I picked out a favorite toy and blanket. I’m getting quite coordinated and can bat at things even when they move around. I  like to watch other people, especially other children. I’m content just seeing what they’re up to. I love to kick; I especially like to kick armrests when I eat. I rub my eyes to let people know when I’m really tired.

That’s it for me this week! We’re off to have a date night/celebration of good news I’ll announce next week! Have a great week.

-Shantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Tips

This week’s focus is…         MENU Oh how I love food. After you’ve come up with your theme and your décor, it seems (at least to me) for the menu to come along naturally. I do have a few rules I try stick to. When I throw a party I generally like to have something crunchy you can snack on, something healthy(ish), something you could consider to be what I call “real food” aka something you would eat as part of a main meal, at least 2 drink options, and something deliciously sweet. Although I try to have some of the food options be theme-specific, I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. People might remember if your food was theme specific, but they’re definitely going to remember if your food was delicious. Don’t feel like you can’t make some of your favorite staples for a party! Make food you would like to eat- especially if you’re hosting. You might just have leftovers. If you’re staple food is steak, or something equally expensive or equally larg...

Dust yourself off & try again

Okay, I have persisted and I have a few tips. Fluffier frosting is definitely not the way to go. I used a fluffier frosting and the frosting ended up coming off the cookie with the stamp. This icing seemed to work much better. Secondly, brush cornstarch on top of the icing to limit the stickiness. PaperVine was so right about that! I had a rubber stamp and an acrylic stamp and the rubber stamp worked much better. That’s not to say that acrylic stamps won’t work, but I didn’t have an acrylic block to put the food coloring on. I used the paper towel method I read about somewhere (for the life of me I can’t find it), where you put paper towels into a Tupperware container and soak it with food coloring. You use the paper towels as a sort of ink-pad. Next time I may just shell out the cash for an un-inked foam pad. I’m also interested to see how different types of food coloring works. Some people swear by gel while others swear by airbrush food coloring. Thirdly, make sure you’re hu...

Nerd, Nerd, Nerd, Nerd is the Word

I really want to throw a nerd party! How fun would that be? If my husband was into parties I might would just throw him a nerd party for his birthday. He’s not a Screech type of nerd, but he does like to game and is into computers and gadgets. I’m definitely having trouble coming up with a catchy name for the invitations, but you know I’m ready for the food! I think I would start out with a periodic table cloth on the food table to set the stage. Much like this one from Learning beyond the books. Then I’d definitely bake a nice pi pie like this one from Bot Pie . Then I would pick and choose from some of theses ideas. Love the Jell-O Legos The Joys of Jello did! These cupcake stencils and cakelet pans from Williams Sonoma are so cool too! And who could forget drinks? Harry Potter Butterbeer anyone? As far as décor goes- I think these removable Mario wall stickers would be a nice addition, and these Star Wars (Lego) glow sticks could be fun favors. This is definitel...